Tuesday, July 29, 2008

retro recycling

i remember one of my sorority sisters in college was super-creeped out by this ps3 commercial.

i read some of the comments on youtube and found out that it is a parody of 2001: A space odyssey, a 1960's film by stanley kubrik.
according to gitcommand "I'm guessing that this is supposed to be a parody of 2001 A Space Odyssey, with the PS3 as the black monolith. In 2001ASO, the monolith appeared to make things evolve, so I guess the PS3 is supposed to be making the baby doll evolve. The white room is very similar to the final scene of 2001, with the old man in a white room with the black monolith in front of him. However, I doubt many gamers these days are into 1960's Stanley Kubrick films, and probably don't see the connection."
so i decided to investigate.

looks pretty similar to me at 1 1/2 minutes in. and, i didn't know that famous song/monkey discovery scene is from that movie. see what we can learn from advertising, kids?

No comments: