Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day Vacay

Never in one weekend have I spent so much time, money or miles on the road. Especially in the same state. Good thing work was kinda slow on Friday because I got to leave early and miss at least some of the rush hour traffic on the way to Beth's homebase in Boca Raton. After taking an unplanned detour thanks to some spectacularly distracting lightning, we got into Tampa late that night and after greeting Bugbee, Melissa and Joey the hyper Boston Terrier, we passed out in the guestroom.



It brought back some memories to run on Bayshore the next morning and jumping in the pool afterwards was absolute perfection. That evening, we grilled out at M & M's apartment to celebrate the end of her chemo and I ate way too many delicious things. The next day I got up and started the 2 1/2 hour trek to Kate's beach house in New Smyrna Beach to celebrate her & Ben's engagement. It didn't occur to me to wear a swimsuit, like pretty much every single other person there, but that didn't stop me from playing at least 5 games of beach volleyball. And I finally got to meet the rest of Ben's brothers & sisters. I'm pretty sure some of the other guests assumed I was also one of the Whites, thanks to the blonde hair and athletic prowess.

I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to drive back to the Bay to finally make a date with Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince. Of course the book is better but the movie wasn't bad. The next day, being part Swedish & all, Beth and I stopped at the mothership, also known as IKEA, on the way out of town. Lunch was delish, and I ended up buying a futon to accommodate all the planned and unplanned guests that I'm sure will be visiting in the next few months.

I FINALLY got home a little after dinner time, only to find a mini monsoon in my closet. I made sure maintenance came to fix it the next day and now they have to replace all the drywall on the ceiling in the walk-in closet that I once thought was so fabulous. This being my second consecutive weekend getaway/closet fiasco, I think I'm going to enjoy staying in SoBe for a while.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Glad you had a fun weekend sister! I like that Sixx A.M. song too. :) Can't wait for the new Pearl Jam album...