Monday, June 15, 2009

Killer Kids

So there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that in Palmetto and Cutler Bay (where the old Sapient office was located) some psycho was mutilating & killing cats, then placing the gruesome remains like trophies back where he found them. There were 33 reported cases, and now the good news is that this kid was arrested and is being charged with 19 of them.



When I first heard about the story last month, I theorized it would be some disturbed, suburban teenager in the area that was bored, sick and somehow starved for attention. I wonder if C.S.I. Miami or Law & Order will make an episode about it (the disclaimer always says the stories aren't inspired by true events, but I don't believe it).

I find it particularly interesting the role that social media is playing in this case. Before, when someone was arrested, you just saw their picture on the news or in the paper and other than that you were pretty disassociated with them. Some of the news stories I saw online pulled pictures from his MySpace account and they post links to his Facebook page as well as a group in support of catching and some prick even started a group just plain in support of the alleged cat killer.








You think he's a sick bastard? You can tell him that directly through Facebook or MySpace. Not to mention the countless people emailing, Twittering, re-posting and otherwise sharing links and news clips.



I'm glad he's 18 so he can be tried as an adult. Even if the judge isn't the biggest PETA supporter and lets the kid off lightly, he's still screwed because this stuff is in every nook and cranny of the internet. I personally don't think he should go to jail. He should be placed in the custody of the Miami Metro Zoo and share an enclosure with the Lions after the zookeepers "forget" to feed them for a couple days. I like my justice served with a side of irony, thanks!

(Kind of like how I wish this kid in Australia had actually fallen into the Croc enclosure:)

No comments: