Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Power of One

So the buzz has been building about Miller's one second ad set to air during the superbowl today. My sister actually first told me about it. According to the website, 1secondad.com, the strategy is to save money, even though they developed a website and additional spots that aired the past few days to promote it. The tagline is "Good, honest beer at a tasty price." I don't particularly like the wording but I like the idea behind it:

"Paying $3 million for a 30-second commercial makes about as much sense as putting saurkraut on a doughnut. Actually, even that makes more sense. We'd rather have our message short and to the point, if it means delivering more honest beer at a tasty price."

So I guess the price of a superbowl spot is $3 million for 30 seconds. Actually seems on the low end of the spectrum to me. Wanna know what else 3 mil can get you? 230 tons of smokehouse bacon (or tofu?), 1,800 belt buckles, 15,000 skydive jumps, and the list continues...



Either the creatives at Saatchi and Saatchi New York were really lazy or really innovative. I'm inclined to bet on the latter.

Here's some spots that didn't make the cut:


Hmmm... reminds me of the man-tastic campaigns someone else I know likes to do...
Will try to post the actual spot after the game.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

HEY! There was NO shout out to me, your loving sister, who told you about the campaign! :( *sad face*

Miranda said...

What are you talking about?! Read the second frickin' sentance!