Saturday, August 22, 2009

D-9 Debriefing

My friend and I really didn't know what to think when we stepped out of the theater after seeing District 9 tonight. I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't what I experienced. The best way I can describe it is like watching a more cinematic two hour game of Halo.



A Halo game at which I'm not behind the controls because although I would love to be a gamer, I particularly suck at the ones in which you have to navigate and shoot with two different controls, especially when they are inverted. Why?! It's complicated enough as it is! Now I have to remember that when I aim the joystick down that I am actually looking up? My ex-boyfriend and his frat brothers took full advantage of this fact and delighted in repeatedly running me over, ambushing and sniping me. The best I could do was memorize where the turrets were, attempt to reach them and make it rain bullets! And I still rarely ended up with a positive kill score. (If we were playing Mario Kart or Super Smash Brothers, it would be a different story. Oh yes.)

Anyways, I don't really get into ARG (Alternative Reality Games) but I heard the one promoting District 9 was decent. They scattered stuff all over the web, which appeared to come from several different "sources." (I think they recently aggregated them at D-9.com since the movie is out now).




They even arrived in full force at Comic Con to warn/inform people.



I don't this ARG was as widespread or as popular as the one for The Dark Knight (which won the Grand Prix in the Cyber Lions category at Cannes this year), but hey, I went to see the movie so at least some part of it worked on me.



I still don't know exactly what to think of the movie. It left me with more questions than answers, which I suspect was it's intention. It was definitely unlike any other movie I've ever seen. Weird how movies are becoming more like video games, whether subtly like this one or blatantly like Gamer, which I will probably end up seeing thanks to all the action and explosions I've seen in the trailers.

Afterthought: I found this screen junkies review online which states that the original intention of this movie WAS actually supposed to an adaptation of Halo. Hmmm...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know that District 9 felt like "Halo." I know Peter Jackson got snubbed (more or less) to make a film version of Halo, so he got this director (who already filmed a live-action Halo battlescene) to make something with aliens.

There were a ton of things right with this movie. The fact that we never really saw that huge spaceship. It was always just in the background. The way it tackled Apartheid was amazing too. And the most unassuming character became the hero of the movie. The Michael Scott of Jo-berg became Iron Man and saved Christopher and his son.

By far one of the best movies of the year. It's been a shitty year for movies though. I'm going to say that this will be in contention for Best Screenplay, Best Picture, and (possibly..far stretch) Best Actor (Wikus!!!!).

Inglourious Basterds was really the only other movie that did it for me. Although there is always "Up," to capture some awards, this year was just about Summer Blockbusters.

What you SHOULD be thinking, Miranda, is: OMG, I can't wait for District 10!!!!

Oh, and this movie is great because it was made with no-name actors, on a budget of $30 million. It was in the green by the evening of Day 2.