Friday, January 16, 2009

Virgin/Sacrifice

You know a campaign is successful when SNL parodies it...

At the risk of sounding like a Crispin-worshiper, I just have to add a quick post about the Whopper Sacrifice Facebook Application.


I had no idea about this once again brilliant idea until I got this message from this jerk that went to my University (yet never graduated):
"Miranda is #2 on my way to a free Whopper. I'm glad I didn't de-friend you earlier for no reason. Expect a message from Burger King soon.
Not that I'm sad to see him go. The only good thing that came out of this was that I found out about the FApp. (Facebook + Application). The FApp must have been deactivated soon after because I was not actually de-friended, and was able to send this response:
"Wow. I'm surprised you have at least 10 friends to sacrifice in the first place!"
Yea.
Then, there's the Angry Gram, in which you can send a somewhat personalized hostile, animated whopper to your victim of choice.



There must be a lot of Harry Potter fans on this account b/c it reminds me exactly of the berating letter that Ron's mother sent him at Hogwarts after he stole and crashed the flying car during second year. Yes, I am a little bit of a HP fan.

I love the fact that the whole time I was there, they were like "No Facebook Apps, No microsites. They are so overdone. They all suck." I guess what's the use in having rules unless you can break them (if your idea is good enough). Not to mention I don't remember any other brands using animosity as an emotion to associate with, let alone promote, their brand.

1 comment:

mingmui said...

great find with the snl parody!

and what a jerk. you can take comfort in knowing that bk took the sacrifice down yesterday cuz someone was able to hack it (so you could get the whopper without defriending). guess they need to find a way out of that glitch.
either way, your old acquaintance is a jerk. who would want to defriend you? you're so fantastic!