Saturday, December 6, 2008

Reality is Truth

I saw one of the first public commercials for Crispin's new 'Reality' Campaign:



Earlier this week at the agency I saw a bunch of 'clean coal' facts plastered all over the walls. So far it seems like the exact same campaign as Truth, except they changed the topic from smoking to coal burning and global warming. Don't get me wrong, though. I loved the Truth campaign. In fact, that's one of the reasons I love the agency, they have the same values as me in general: anti-smoking, recycling, environmental preservation, physical fitness, etc.

I'm excited to see how this campaign unfolds. CP+B loves their PR! I wonder if this is pro bono.

The website makes me a little sad, but at least you get to bring the canary back to life each time! After seeing the website, I now understand why they used the yellow bird as a mascot.

I remember learning this at some point:
Early coal mines did not feature ventilation systems, so miners would routinely bring a caged canary into new coal seams. Canaries are especially sensitive to methane and carbon monoxide, which made them ideal for detecting any dangerous gas build-ups. As long as the canary in a coal mine kept singing, the miners knew their air supply was safe. A dead canary in a coal mine signalled an immediate evacuation.

Here's the print ad that's been released:



Everything is so simple, which is why it's so brilliant.

“Simplicity is not the goal. It is the by-product of a good idea and modest expectations.”

"Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated.”

- Paul Rand

1 comment:

mingmui said...

i like the paul rand quote. shows how non-creatives always say, "just give me something simple." ah!

i saved the canary twice and then couldn't do it anymore. too depressing!