Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Monday Mirecommendations Vol II

Ok so technically it's Tuesday but I literally haven't had time to post anything until now. After waking up at 6:30 this morning and working out a bit, I was at my internship by 9:30, worked all day, left at 5:00, stopped home just long enough to eat an All-American veggie burger then power walked it to MAS for my stand-up comedy class at 7:00. It's one of those rare classes that actually goes the whole three hours and according to our teacher even beyond that. This class is definitely gonna kick my ass but I like that my "research" includes watching the Colbert Report this week.

Then of course I had to watch the tarheels' inevitable victory over Michigan. I can't remember the last time I yawned so much during a basketball game. It was a well-deserved victory though. The only way I wouldn't have cheered for them was if they played Wake or Clemson, my first and second tier teams. Yes, I can cheer for three teams in the same conference!

So onto the mireccomendation: M.I.A., also known as Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam. I'm a big fan of hybrid music, and she's one of the most experimental and international artists I can think of, putting people on the map from Africa to Australia and more recently India, with her song O Saiya featured in Slumdog Millionaire.


She's also an interesting fashion and graphic designer. I would describe the style as American Apparel refugees on crack.




I think her big break (at least in the US) was when her song Paper Planes was used in the Pineapple Express trailer and movie. Here's a link to the music video because I can't embed it. And the pineapple express trailer:



I wasn't so impressed the first time I saw it. Maybe it's one of those movies I have to watch more than once to appreciate it like Napoleon Dynamite or Wedding Crashers.

Anyways, some of my other favorite songs of hers include Hussel, Sunshowers, Mango Pickle Down River and Come Around featuring Timbaland. T.I. also recently did a huge collaborative track with Kanye West, Jay-Z and Weezy called Swagger Like Us using part of her paper planes in the chorus. This song was performed by the "rap pack" live at the 2009 Grammys and M.I.A. was even pregnant!



I guess I've been on a music kick lately. I need to be more faithful to my blog title and switch things up a bit.

1 comment:

mingmui said...

they just played this on the radio today on my way home (on the bus)!

i didn't know you were taking standup! wooooooot!!! :)
i can't wait to hear your routine.
g michael rocks!