Wednesday, March 25, 2009

10 Things To Do Before I'm 30 (Part II)

and the list continues from yesterday...

05. Create Outside the Computer

I miss my sketchbook and my oil pastels. I just don't have much spare time or money to invest in more traditional art. I still doodle a lot and LOVE it when I get to illustrate stuff for a campaign. My Anime skills must be pretty decent because Ronney told me I draw like an Asian. I guess that's a compliment. :)

I also want to do something with music. I would definitely be more in tune with an instrument if my mom hadn't forbade me to play the drums in sixth grade because it would make too much noise. (Of course my sister started playing the trumpet the next year which is way worse, even if you are good at it.) But I guess if I had been more into music I wouldn't have gotten so into sports so I don't have too many regrets.

Besides, I aced a piano class in college. I pretty much just practiced and memorized where my fingers were supposed to go. So if i do become better friends with my old friend music, I would lean towards the piano or guitar. I've had some prior experience with both, if you count Guitar Hero.

My Canon Rebel has also become a victim of neglect. I think I'm better at capturing candid moments with the cybershot... Which I recently lost the battery and charger for, so I guess I have no choice but to use the Rebel more often anyways.

Lastly, I love writing. You usually don't hear that from an art director but my first advertising internship was as a copywriter. I have so much content, especially from my quarter away experiences, to collect and put into a single novella. I'm not saying it would make the best seller list, but it would be pretty entertaining. Especially if I include illustrations of the notoriously topless grandma and the bird from the Bohemian Bordello.



04. Date A Non-D-Bag

I'm pretty bad at picking guys, and I have proof. Facebook news feed alerted me that one of my ex's had uploaded some St. Patrick's Day pics, so I sent one to a great little blog called Hot Chicks with Douche Bags and it was uploaded with creative commentary the next day. (He's on the left.)



I haven't exactly been in the best of Douche-free markets lately. My university was unfortunately plagued with My New Haircut guys and Miami isn't much better. I literally cringed when I heard the obnoxious New York/Jersey accents a few chairs down from me at the pool today and almost barfed when I saw the gang of tanorexic, spiky haired steroid addicts from which said aural annoyance was emanating.

On the bright side, I don't really have time to worry about guys anyways.



03. Work at CP+B

You can love or hate the agency, but you have to respect most of the work that comes out of it. I got a little appetizer when I was out there for Greenhouse, which left me craving an entree. My planner Pam described me as "drinking the Crispin Kool-Aid." I mean I think I could see myself in one of those little cubicles lost in the 'factory' and spending my days in Boulder, Colorado. The view of the mountains is amazing and I would definitely have to invest in a snowboard and a bike, which leads me to my next goal...



02. Compete in a Triathlon

I recently got back into running consistently, which is making me a bit more ambitious. Obviously I would have to train. A lot. Maybe I'll summon all that I learned on swim team in Jr. High and hit the pool here early in the morning. And I've been meaning to get a bike anyways. I much prefer this kind of exercise to being stuck in the gym. I've even started researching it and there are annual triathlons in all the major US advertising markets: New York, Chicago, LA, San Fran and Dallas. Coincidence?



01. Win Something

It would be awesome to win any and/or all of the following: Addy, Clio, One Show Pencil, D&AD, Cannes Lion, Young Gun.

[These were in no particular order. I just felt like writing.]

2 comments:

mingmui said...

i can't believe you sent it into the website! HA! he is cute though, he gets points for that.

yesssss, topless grandma! your expression from that is priceless!

Unknown said...

I like these. A lot. Tough call on the D-bags though. They're everywhere. Even Dusseldorf has its share of tanorexic (you SHOULD think about being a CW, haha) mynewhaircut guys. It's sad.

Stop drinking the CPB kool-aid. Please. You don't have to respect anything that comes out of that hole. Burger King advertising only works for that clientele, the LCD of the masses- people who want to buy fast food, and love BK. While there may be great people to work with, that's the case in any agency. Think outside the box. But, being on CO is a plus, so...go for it. But HOOPLA is a terrible, terribly overpriced book. Ogvily on Advertising and The Book of Gossage should be required reading for anyone in this business.

Triathlon. I'm right there with you. Would have sold you my bike had you asked. Tell me when you're doing one, and I'll see you at the line, missy. You'll prolly catch up to me in the Run section, after I blast you on the bike. Fat people can't run...my loss.

If you can't win one of those, is it possible to win My Heart? hahah, kidding. You'll get something, one day. Maybe after 30, but then, those awards will just roll in.

Good Luck!