Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring and Sports

To celebrate the first day of spring, Google themed it's home page by paying tribute to Eric Carle's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar.



This was totally one of my favorite books when I was a kid!
According to this article,
The book, published in 1969, still sells one copy every 30 seconds in the world, 40 years after it was originally published.

Written and illustrated by Eric Carle (a graphic designer who later became art director of an advertising agency before moving into book illustration), it has sold more than 29 million copies, and is published in 47 languages.

Mr Carle, who turns 80 this year, said he got the idea from a hole puncher.

"One day I was punching holes with a hole puncher into a stack of paper, and I thought of a bookworm and so I created a story called "A Week with Willi the Worm". Then my editor suggested a caterpillar instead and I said "Butterfly!" That's how it began," he said.


I love the illustrative style. I hope to do other things than just advertising art direction too, like maybe also write a book, go surfing in Hawaii, go skydiving in Australia, possibly do a triathalon. The usual. LoL



And speaking of sports, Wake Forest plays their first game of the NCAA tourney against Cleveland State in about two minutes! They better win, even though my brackets are all messed up now because Clemson lost last night to Michigan....





...12:04 AM: And Wake is out. First round. 84-69. Hmm, deja vous, a la the ACC tourney. Oh well. I guess I'll root for the Tarheels now!

2 comments:

mingmui said...

SO cool! i had no idea he was an AD. woot woot. :)
thx for the packaging blogs!

Jamie said...

Stupid Wake playing horrible...letting Cleveland St. beat them...BOO!