Friday, March 27, 2009

A Recent DisCovery

Has anyone else seen the latest Cover Girl commercials on TV featuring Ellen DeGeneres?



I was all kinds of surprised. I mean, I know they've been branching out from the stereotypical supermodels that graced the ads when I read Seventeen magazine in high school by using Drew Barrymore and Queen Latifa recently. But they are actresses, not a far reach from models.

Ellen is in a whole nother league occupationally, generationally and sexual orientationally. (I may have made up that last word.) I do have to admit she is pretty and it's cool to see someone outside the glamorous celeb-o-sphere endorsing beauty products. Also interesting is that CG is partnering with a semi-rival brand, Oil of Olay. (I say semi-rival because I feel like they only have products for my mom).

Methinks this Cover Girl campaign is at least a little bit influenced by the Dove Real Beauty revolution. After all, they're only separated by an aisle or two at Target.

Sidenote: I've always wondered who wrote their ridiculous tagline: Easy, Breezy, Beautiful, Cover Girl. So basically if you wear the makeup you are promiscuous and an airhead, but hey, you'll be pretty because that's all that matters. lol.

1 comment:

mingmui said...

ha, i totally use oil of olay! seriously. at least twice a day.

i was surprised by the ad too. but ellen has an enormous following (obviously not as much as oprah, but it's a good #2). good move on CG's part to grab her while they could.

LOL. great tagline commentary!

(sidenote, the word verification thing (to make sure i'm not a robot) is "blogr" today)